Tuesday, June 14, 2011

When in doubt, don't choose WEN.

WEN Cleansing Conditioner was recommended to me by my beautiful fine-fair-haired friend and my gorgeous coarse-curly-haired friend.  The concept is simple.  Shampoos contain sulfates, which create that nice lather that dries out your hair.  WEN is sulfate-free and supposedly cleans and conditions your hair in one step.  You just apply the cleansing conditioner in the shower, comb through your hair with a wide tooth comb, and wait until the end of your shower to rinse your hair.  You can even use it as a leave-in conditioner.

I have tried both the Sweet Almond Mint and the Pomegranate cleansing conditioners for 30 days and, although I loved the scents and the menthol sensation on my scalp, the product left my roots heavy and filmy and my ends showed little change.  Although my hair is dry and damaged, my scalp is oily, which may be why my roots were filmy.  However, that doesn't explain why my ends were not particularly moisturized. 

Not to mention that a 16 oz. bottle costs $28 and a little does not go a long way.  I have shoulder length hair and I had to pump several times to get my hair saturated. 

Someone with very dry or curly hair may like this product.  When it comes to my combination hair, I think it's best to stick with a two-step process, although I will stick with sulfate free shampoo and wash my hair every other day.  A good sulfate free shampoo is L'Oreal Hair Expertise EverSleek Intense Smoothing Shampoo, which only costs about $7.

What I would recommend for people with damaged combination hair like mine is that you use dry spray shampoo, like TREsemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo, in between washings every other day.  You just spray it on your roots, let it sit for a minute, and then brush through it.  Also, it only costs about $5!

No comments:

Post a Comment